I am a Registered Clinical Counsellor, serving the Comox Valley and Campbell River areas on Vancouver Island, BC.
Previous Professional Experience
Areas of Specialization
Additional Areas of Interest
Contact me to book an appointment or discuss how I can help you.
About Mary Ann
Why I practice:
My true professional passion is being a counsellor in private practice working with a variety of clients and issues thus melding my years of experience and training. It’s important that I provide a warm, private setting coupled with a non judgemental, practical down to earth approach.
Clients often state that I am very easy to talk to and that their counselling experience was so much more comfortable and relaxing than anticipated. They comment that they appreciate a realistic, no nonsense approach packaged with genuine caring.
I have over 30 years experience in the counselling field and in addition to 23 years in private practice I worked in such varied settings as juvenile corrections, rural mental health and addictions, as well as a ski resort. In addition to counselling clients I also provide Critical Incident Response services and have had the opportunity to travel to some very unique and at times quite remote areas.
With almost 30 years’ experience in counselling, I have had a private therapy practice for almost 23 of those years. For the last 18 years, I have been based on Vancouver Island, in the incredible communities of the Comox Valley and Campbell River, BC.
In addition to accepting private clients, I am also on contract to provide counselling and Critical Incident Stress Debriefing services to several local, Vancouver-Island-based and national Employee Assistance Programs and Agencies.
I have provided consultative services for a master’s-level psychotherapist.
I have also presented Workshops on a variety of topics
My fees are covered through some insurance companies, agencies and other third parties. Please contact me to discuss my current fees and possible coverage.
As part of my belief in giving back to the community, I am (or have been) involved with several local organizations:
- Comox Valley Road Runners Youth Run4Fun Program: Director, Program Coordinator
- Sporting and Music Events: Volunteer Incident Responder
- Habitat for Humanity: Fundraiser / Women’s Build Team
- Comox Valley Ukrainian Cultural Society: Past Member
- Courtenay Recreation: Fathers Day Kite Festival Judge
- Comox Valley Makeover: Support Counsellor
Types of Counselling
- Couples Counselling
- Mental Health
- Grief & Loss
Benefits of Counselling
- Confidential, individualized approach
- Provides a sense of relief and hope
- Opportunity to be heard and supported
- Free of judgement or criticism
- Provides direction, empowerment
- Client Centered & Solution Focused Therapy
- CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy)
- EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Re-processing)
- Clinical Hypnotherapy